[this image helped shape my word for 2011]
Over the last few years, I've chosen a word to focus on as the basis for my yearly resolutions.
So far, my words have been:
Having a word in my mind on a daily basis really helps me keep my focus on the goals I've set for myself. Placing the word throughout my home keeps me visually reminded as well.
My word for 2011: Grow.
2010 was a great year. Big things happened. Some really happy. Others really hard.
I am excited to put the hard things behind me, and press forward making this a year to grow.
I turn 35 this year. [WOW!]
I've always been inspired by the lists of things to accomplish in a year, and so I've been working on a list of 35 things I would like to do in the next 365 days [plus or minus a few days.]
For the sake of accountability, I am sharing my personal list, and will revisit it over the coming months:
35 things in 2011:
1. laugh more
2. hike Badger Mt. once a month
3. create a family manifesto to hang in our home
4. take a camping trip with just Brandon
5. re-design my blog
6. have a recital for my piano students
7. host a concert in my home
8. run a 10k in March
9. join a bookclub
10. splurge on a great pair of jeans
11. help Ethan make progress in Scouting
12. wallpaper a room in my home
13. pay off debt
14. take guitar lessons with Ethan
15. travel to NYC or LA [leaving myself some room on this one]
16. learn to make $$ doing something I love
17. volunteer at a race
18. host a major concert [exciting!!!]
19. re-decorate our bedroom
20. learn to make great dinner rolls
21. sew decorative pillows for my bed and couch
22. read at least one book each month
23. throw a fun + unique sweet 16 for Madeline
24. comment more on the blogs I read
25. take more pictures [with my new (vintage) camera]
26. grow a garden
27. run a 1/2 marathon
28. make a new headboard + upgrade to a King mattress
29. read the Book of Mormon and New Testament
30. take the kids on the Polar Express
31. get the bulk of Christmas shopping done before December 1st
32. discover ways to make our Ma & Pa experience extra special [we've been asked to participate in a Pioneer Trek in August with youth from our church. 3 of our 4 children will be with us, so it will be special for sure.]
33. see a couple of favorites in concert [options: Rachael Yamagata, Adele, Kate Walsh, Zee Avi, Wilco, Fleet Foxes, Ray LaMontagne, Band of Horses, Ari Hest or The Open Sea]
34. grow in forgiveness
35. grow in kindness
I hope, that by December 31st, I will have each of these things crossed off, and that I will have grown closer to the person I want to be.
Especially more forgiving and kind.
I really want to be those things.