At the beginning of this year, I chose the word balance because I struggle daily to be a wife/mother/daughter/sister/friend. I struggle to be exactly who I want to be. I want to be a loving wife to my husband, a nurturing mother to my children. I want to be a loyal daughter to my parents, and a helpful sister to my extended family. I want to be the kind of friend who is there when she is needed.
Some days I might do really well in my loving wife role, and really stink in the friend department. And other days I am a stellar mother, but a neglectful sister. How will I ever be able to balance all of these roles that I have chosen to play?
After almost six months of struggling with this word, I have realized that merely choosing the word is not enough. I do in fact need goals. Throughout these six months of him-hawing around, I've wasted precious time that I could have spent really working on balance, so here is my attempt to play catch up:
- Daily personal prayer and scripture study BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.
- Work before play. Get some chores done first, then take some time to do something I enjoy.
- Make the time each day to move this body. I KNOW that I feel better physically and emotionally on the days when I have exercised.
- Think before you speak. I need to filter my thoughts and words so that I am speaking with patience and love.
- Do a kind deed EVERYDAY. I need to think beyond myself and reach out to others.
- More regular temple attendance. I crave more of the peace that I feel there.
- Be grateful everyday. I am blessed beyond measure with wonderful family and friends, a beautiful home, everything I need is provided for me, I just need to be grateful, and journal it.